[hobbit] New enable/disable tool ready for testing

Tom Georgoulias tgeorgoulias at mcclatchy.com
Thu Apr 14 16:35:44 CEST 2005

Henrik Stoerner wrote:

> My solution works somewhat differently than the old "maint.pl" script:
> The enable/disable functionality is no longer a separate webpage
> listing all hosts; instead, this function is moved to each hosts'
> "info" column page. I did this because I have about 2000 hosts, so the
> list of all hosts was practically unusable in my setup. You can see
> how it looks on the demo site http://www.hswn.dk/hobbit/ - just pick
> one of the "info" buttons.

Glad to see this feature!  I checked it out and have some comments about
what *I'd* like to see, but this may not be what everyone else wants.
I'll say it anyway.  ;)

1.  I still like having the ability to disable many hosts at once from
the same page, using the pull down menu in the tool bar instead of teh
info column.

2.  I found it confusing to have both the "disable now" and "schedule
disable" buttons right next to each other, and the cause field over the
schedule disable.

I want to log a cause for every disable/enable, scheduled or immediate.
  I'd love to have a form that has separate fields for the comment and a
name, so I can some what enforce my local policy of "put your name in
the comment field so we know who's doing what on the systems".

Something like this:

Select enable/disable from teh tool bar, go to the

Click on the host(s) & tests you want disabled.  Since you have tons of
systems and don't want to scroll through all of them, maybe you could
have 2 columns, one for the group and the other for the systems in that
group.

Be forced to enter both a comment and a user name to track who/what is
going on.

Select from a pull down menu if you want this immediately or in the
future.  if the future is selected, a new set of menus appears that
allows you to schedule the start/stop times.

Push an "apply" button and everything goes into effect.

Thats my two cents.  Flame away.

Tom