[hobbit] acknowledgment for a yellow alert doesn't seem to work

Tom Georgoulias tgeorgoulias at mcclatchy.com
Thu Apr 7 19:57:32 CEST 2005

Tom Georgoulias wrote:
> Henrik Stoerner wrote:
> >
>>Could you try the attached patch ? If causes hobbitd to log if it
>>receives an ack-message that is discarded because the cookie was not
>>valid.

Patch seems to work.

I have a yellow alert on a system.

Check the cookie:
-bash-2.05b$ ~/hobbit/server/bin/bb 127.0.0.1 "hobbitdboard
host=radm200p.nandomedia.com test=disk fields=hostname,testname,cookie"
radm200p.nandomedia.com|disk|406429

Wait a while, then check again:
-bash-2.05b$ ~/hobbit/server/bin/bb 127.0.0.1 "hobbitdboard
host=radm200p.nandomedia.com test=disk fields=hostname,testname,cookie"
radm200p.nandomedia.com|disk|712535

Use the old cookie to try and ack the alert, then check hobbitd.log:

bash-2.05b$ tail hobbitd.log
2005-04-06 14:55:48 Setup complete
2005-04-06 15:01:33 Setup complete
2005-04-07 13:21:55 Setup complete
2005-04-07 13:36:53 Cookie 406429 not found, dropping ack

Stale cookie didn't work, event was logged.

So now the real issue for me is how to use this piece of info about
cookie lifespans when I put Hobbit into production.  I don't want the
support folks to have to log into my hobbit server and check for the
latest cookie value before acknowledging an alert. I've also got a range
of time & repeat delays for my alerts, depending on what system
parameter is being measured, and I'd hate to have to use <30 mins across
the board.