Re: [xymon] smtp/smtps tests against postfix generate errors on server

On 11/21/2010 8:36 AM, White, Bruce wrote:
You can change what Xymon sends during an smtp test by editing the
<install dir>/etc/bb-services file.

That helped me eliminate the error from the log. I put in this for smtp with a similar setup for smtps, it seems to work:

[smtp]
   send "mail\r\n"
   expect "503"
   send "quit\r\n"
   expect "220"
   options banner
   port 25

This does not actually work completely as expected. After I looked at what it was doing, I would have expected it to fail, because the last thing the server says is "221 2.0.0 Bye". This doesn't seem to matter, the 220 that it received as part of the initial banner was enough to make the test succeed. If the test were working as I had expected, this would be the correct configuration:

[smtp]
   expect "220"
   send "mail\r\n"
   expect "503"
   send "quit\r\n"
   expect "221"
   options banner
   port 25

With either of the configs above, the "503" error from the mail command is not shown in the results on the webpage.

Thanks,
Shawn