Re: [hobbit] Alternate view for Management

On Thursday 23 July 2009 21:33:17 Harold J. Ballinger wrote:
> It looks like the NAME and COMMENT tags only apply for the host entry that
> is preferred with the "prefer" tag. This means that it will change the name
> for both pages and that I can't have the host display a friendly name on
> one page but an actual hostname on the other.
>
> The only way that I could find to make this work was to use "include"
> instead of "dispinclude", then create a second "fake host" entry with a
> different hostname and duplicate all of the tests using the "testip" tag,
> then use the NAME tag on this second "fake host". This means that all tests
> are duplicated and that the tests reported on this page are against the IP
> (and would not reflect host resolution issues.)
>
> I know that there are a lot of you out there that are smarter than me and
> that know Xymon inside and out. Am I trying to get Xymon to do something
> that it just isn't capable of performing? I hate to have to build and
> manage a separate Xymon server that is just for the management view and
> reporting so that I can have this "Friendly View" type of report, but would
> that be my best option at this point?

Would it not make more sense to use the bbcombotest instead for this ?

BTW, while the weathermap script I mainly developed for use with devmon (some
examples here: http://staff.telkomsa.net/~bgmilne/weathermap/) it could quite
easily be modified to display a graphical representation of business services
(if hobbit status information is available for the test specified, the
background of the text will display the test color), possibly with
dependencies.

Regards,
Buchan