Re: [hobbit] Xymon hosts database.

We store information on our systems in LDAP for a variety of reasons.

  * Many existing applications (Postfix, Puppet) can use LDAP data
  * LDAP tools are pre-installed on most systems
* It's available in most scripting environments (Shell, Python, PHP, Perl) * The data can be viewed and edited in many ways (including plain- text)
  * The data's structure is more flexible than a spreadsheet or RDBMS
  * We're going to have an LDAP server anyway (for authentication)
  * It's easy for people to read and gather information
* It's easy for machines and automated processes to read and gather information

And yes, much of our bb-hosts file is generated from data in LDAP. :)

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>