Re: [hobbit] Is there a limit on the number of hosts that can polled?

I would agree with this, the disk subsystem is probably unable to keep up with the I/O load. Use "iostat 30" or "vmstat 30" to determine iowait percentage, which is probably very high. To fix it, get rid of any raid5/6 (even if handled by a dedicated controller) or LVM, and possibly use faster disks. The best balance between performance and data redundancy is raid10, but obviously it costs more because there are more disks. For write-intensive tasks like this, even JBOD is a better performance option than raid5. Because I never use it, I don't really know why LVM causes problems, but I know from others' experience that it does.

The problem with raid5 and raid6 is that there's a write penalty due to the need to calculate and write parity data. A good controller with memory for write caching can mitigate this in many typical circumstances, but only if the entire transaction can fit in the cache memory and can be flushed to disk before another data flood comes in. In this case, it takes about 2700 hosts to generate more data than the system can write before more arrives.

Brian Catlin wrote:
As nobody took a shot at this, While you are ok on memory and CPU - have you looked at your other resources? With that many hosts reporting back to a master - I would suspect I/O flooding off your interface... Just a thought ....