Re: [hobbit] How to run an arbitary script on the client end?

As far as I know there is no built-in functionality to dynamically execute remote scripts and get their output. Others may have better suggestions, but one way of doing it, is you could set the client-side script to be launched by the hobbit client every X minutes, (via clientlaunch.cfg). I'm not sure of the best way to get the script output back to the hobbit server though. I guess you could have the script output to a logfile , and then have the hobbit server monitor that log via the normal log monitoring mechanism
.
-Charles

Haertig, David F (Dave) wrote:
Is there a way to confgure a client, via client-local.cfg or otherwise, to run some arbitrary command on the client and send it's stdout/stderr back to the hobbit server? I have a few simple shell scripts that exist on some clients that it would be nice to invoke and then read their results on the server end using the "$BBHOME/bin/bb localhost clientlog..." method. Similar to the way a "file:path_to_file" directive will collect a file's metadata? I want something like "runprogram:path_to_program" I am doing this currently using a server-side script that ssh'es to the client machine and runs what it needs. I would rather have the normal Hobbit client collect the data output by the client-side program, upload that, and my server-side script would parse that resulting clientlog rather than going and collecting it's own data. If this is possible. Thanks!