Re: [hobbit] how to comment on an alert event when test already recovers?

I wrote an RT Scrip that automatically opens a ticket in Request Tracker whenever there is an alert. It also automatically resolves the ticket whenever the alert recovers. It should be in the mail archive somewhere, if not I can see if I can find it again.

-Charles

Richard Leyton wrote:
Hi Jerry,

I know it's perhaps not quite what you're after, but your e-mail intrigued me, and I wondered if you've considered using a Wiki or an issue tracker for such things?

It's not going to be as integrated as I see you suggesting, but there is the unix philosophy of 'do one thing, and do it well', and Hobbit starting to track issues/resolutions pushes it out of monitoring (which it does so well) quite a bit.

Alternatively, you might want to take a look at RT from bestpractical.com/rt - you could, conceivably, hook alerts (or better yet, acknowledgements?) into either RT or RTFM, a plug-in component to RT that provides common resolutions to problems. Perhaps if alert id's were pushed into a ticket, you could fetch out previous 'issues' associated with an alert, but it'd be considerably fiddly to customise things as much.

I like what you're thinking - but I don't (personally) see Hobbit benefiting from such a move, other than perhaps improved integration with existing open source tools of the sort I've described, but that's a Henrik thing, of course.

I'd certainly be interested to hear if anybody else on the list has tried something similar to Jerry?

Regards,

Richard.

--
Richard Leyton - richard (at) leyton.org
http://www.leyton.org