Re: [hobbit] Connection problems with bbproxy

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 01:03:21PM -0600, Kasperowicz, Shaun (Contractor) wrote:
> Well after some more snooping, we find that bbproxy never makes a complete tcp
> connection with the BB server.  You can see several connection attempts, but they
> are never completed, and the data is never sent from bbproxy to the BB server.

I assume what you see in the snoop are the outgoing SYN packets from the
proxy, but not SYN-ACK packets coming back from the BB server ?

Could you run snoop on both servers - the one running bbproxy and the BB
server at the same time ? I'd like to have a look at that traffic.

> The bbproxy never gets that far...as if it's doing something during the
> negotiation that our old BB server doesn't like, so it drops the connections.
> I'm beginning to think that our BB1.8b clients and server are too old for us
> to use bbproxy with them.  Is this possible?  I'm not sure how far back Hobbit
> is compatible with BB.

It *should* work - I dont think there's been any change in the BB daemon
for a very long time. I haven't tested bbproxy with a 1.8b server, but I
don't know of anything that would make it fail like this.

There's really nothing special in the way bbproxy sets up the connection
to the BB server - it just invokes the standard "connect()" routine.

> Also, is there a way to make logging more verbose with bbproxy?  That might
> help the troubleshooting.

Start bbproxy as a foreground process with debugging enabled. Run it
with all of the usual options, plus "--debug --no-daemon".

One thing I come to think of ... what's the MAXLINE setting on your BB
server (in the $BBHOME/src/bb.h file) ? bbproxy will combine status-
messages into combo-messages - if it ends up building larger messages
than your BB server can accept, they could end up being discarded. But
then you should see the message going over the wire ...

Henrik