Re: [hobbit] secure smtp

On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 10:28:50AM +0000, Jon Bjorn Njalsson wrote:
> Is anyone using hobbit to monitor smtps (secure smtp) ?
>
> I am unable to get hobbit to use STARTTLS as I get this error message:

The SMTP STARTTLS is not supported in Hobbit.

For availability, you should be able to just use plain "smtp" - since
you will be talking plain SMTP until the client (i.e. Hobbit) issues
the "STARTTLS" command. So you can test this type of server as if it
were un-encrypted.

It would be nice to support STARTTLS - not only for SMTP, but also
for some of the other protocols (POP3, IMAP come to mind). That would
require some major surgery on the network testing code, though.

Henrik