Re: [hobbit] Redundant Hobbit Servers

Michael,

I have not yet put 2 or more Hobbit servers in a redundant configuration. Although I have build a simular setting with 2 BB servers. Here are a few hints:

For (configuration) file syncing don't count on Hobbit, use other tools like rsync or even better cvs with pserver. Another option here is using clustering tools, have a look at http://tentakel.biskalar.de/similar for a list of handy distribution scripts or try tentakel self.
This is a nice way to push bb-hosts files to your clients too.

I'm sure you have allready made both servers a BBdisplay and BBnet in your bb-hosts file, and configured all your clients this way also so they report to both servers.
Make both of them BBpager too, just one with a filled hobbit-alert.cfg (master) and one with an empty hobbit-alert.cfg (slave). In the master hobbit-alert.cfg make a rule which runs a script when bbd is red or purple on your slave hobbitserver. This script has to login through ssh and copy the master hobbit-alert.cfg over your slave hobbit-alert.cfg.
Now your second hobbitserver is master (next to your first hobbitserver).

Good luck!
Arnoud Post

Lowery, Michael wrote:
I'm interested in knowing what everyone is doing for redundancy. I
currently have 2 hobbit servers and each one performs the same tests as
the other.

I find this to be a bit wasteful and am looking for the active/passive
type of configuration that has been talked about on this list before.

This configuration works fine, except for alerting.  In order to not be
overwhelmed by messages, I only have one hobbit server performing the
alerting task, the other only sends alerts on the other hobbit host.

I have considered using the "depends=" test, but then I have to maintain
two separate bb-hosts files, rather than copying and pasting from one to
the other.

Is there a better way than what I'm doing? My goal is to have both
servers configured the same, as much as possible, and have only one of
them at a time send me alerts.

I'd love to know what you guys are doing to get around these limits.  I
could easily have missed something in the newest update that solves this
problem, but I haven't seen it yet.

Thanks for your thoughts on this subject.

Michael

To unsubscribe from the hobbit list, send an e-mail to hobbit-unsubscribe (at) hswn.dk