[Xymon] Bug? procs test going red green every hour

Jeremy Laidman jeremy at laidman.org
Fri Mar 22 00:10:06 CET 2024

This seems to be an artefact of the "xymon" command, perhaps sanitising
input. If I run this command:

printf "data `uname -n`.TEST\ntesting\    \ntesting\n" | { telnet 127.1
1984; sleep 1; }

the message gets to xymon as is, with a backslash and some trailing
I change the command after the pipe to xymon, like so:

printf "data `uname -n`.TEST\ntesting\    \ntesting\n" | xymon 127.1 @

then the message appears as "testingtesting" with all of the whitespace
stripped out. This effect happens for when one or more spaces or tabs
follows a backslash and is then followed by a newline. (Interestingly, a
carriage return in the whitespace seems to also corrupt the string after
the newline - possibly leading to a buffer overflow in some cases - and
while this is unlikely in the output of "ps", there may be other ways to
abuse xymon with this technique.)

So I think the issue is triggered for you when the ps output has "sed ...
security.cron:<space>".

I suspect if you clean up the output of the "ps" line in
xymonclient-linux.sh to remove trailing whitespace, then it might fix your
problem. Something like this:

ps -Aww f -o
pid,ppid,user,start,state,pri,pcpu,time:12,pmem,rsz:10,vsz:10,cmd | sed 's/
*$//'