[Xymon] Annyoing logic in alerts.cfg

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Mar 30 12:11:42 CEST 2017

Den 27-03-2017 14:04, Even Hauge Juberg skrev:

> *snippet from my
alerts.cfg*

> _HOST=* RECOVERED=1_
> _ IGNORE HOST=*_

_HOST=one-host SERVICE=http_
> _ MAIL someuser at domain.local COLOR=red_

> _ MAIL __someuser at domain__.local__ DURATION>5 COLOR=red_

Several
problems here.

 	* "IGNORE" is for a recipient. If you want to exclude
a host it is "EXHOST=<hostname>". But having a "HOST=* EXHOST=*" does
not make sense.
 	* It is "RECOVERED" by itself, not "RECOVERED=1".
 	*
Judging from the whitespace (the blank line), you want the first
"HOST=*" to be a rule by itself. It is not, a rule must have a recipient
(MAIL or SCRIPT). So all of what you have from this bit of alerts.cfg go
into one rule, and probably ends up being interpreted as all "http"
alerts going to the two mail addresses, and both of them receiving
recovery notifications. Try running "xymoncmd xymond_alert
--dump-config" and see how the parsed configuration looks.

> What I'm
trying to accomplish is to stop the "I'm OK - recovered" messages. Those
messages are irrelevant, so I want those filtered out. The problem
though, is that the logic is completely off on this point. The first
rule for some reason takes presedense, even though I have explicitly
told it to only use that rule IF the host has recovered, no?

I want it
to skip that rule, if it has not yet recovered, send mail to the first
user immediately, then to the other user after 5 minutes, but leave
those users alone if the service is OK again. Is there a way to
accomplish this?
If you don't want any messages about recovered hosts,
just dont put "RECOVERED" anywhere in your config. They are not enabled
by default.

&n

> rule specification. E.g.
>
> HOST=one-host
SERVICE=http RECOVERED
> MAIL adam at example.com
> MAIL eve at example.com

> will send alerts and recovery not
Adam and Eve.

If you only want
recovery notices sent to one recipient, then put it on that recipient:

HOST=one-host SERVICE=http
 MAIL adam at example.com RECOVERED
 MAIL
eve at example.com

will send alerts to both Adam and Eve, but recovery
messages only to Adam.