[Xymon] xymonclient-linux.sh update persistent to software update

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Thu Jan 26 23:23:25 CET 2017

On 1/26/2017 1:49 PM, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> How do I make change and add a new stanza for example [lscpu] to the
> xymonclient-linux.sh that it survives a yum update to next version of
> xymon client?
>
> Thanks

Hi,

There are two ways to do this in the RPM, which roughly correspond to
the "site" and "local" paradigms.

Inside your client's home directory (/usr/share/xymon-client/ or
/usr/share/xymon/client/ in the RPM), there's may be a "sections" and/or
"local" directory. Both of these will be searched for any executable
files, and if any are found their output will be added into the client
report near the end.

The output of files in "sections" will be put in a client [section] with
the name of the executable (or script). The output of files in "local"
will be similar, but will be listed as "[local:filename]" to prevent
collisions. (The intent is for files in ~/sections/ to be package or
site controlled, while "~/local/" is more akin to /usr/local/ for truly
one-off scripts.)

Both of these are present in 4.4 and in the Terabithia RPMs. Only
~/local/ is read in stock 4.3.28. In the RPMs,
/usr/local/share/xymon-client/ is checked as well for legacy reasons.

HTH,
-jc