[Xymon] Strange MACHINE vs. CLIENTHOSTNAME behavior, Terebithia Xymon 4.3.28-0.6.1.el5

Phil Crooker Phil.Crooker at orix.com.au
Tue Jan 10 04:40:27 CET 2017

This may be too simple and not address your issue, but I have a problem with client names on my  SUSE linux systems: uname doesn't return the full (ie FQDN) hostname. uname is what is called in the runclient.sh script:

    MACHINEDOTS="`uname -n`"

So I insert the following to get the correct name sent to the xymon server:

    MACHINEDOTS="`hostname -f`"

But this can just be set statically to whatever you like (of course). This is from a client I've compiled, I don't know what the RPM does, but with such an old version of RHat it should still be on SYSV / init and use this (or a similar script). I've never needed to set CLIENTHOSTNAME.

HTHs... Phil

Subject: [Xymon] Strange MACHINE vs. CLIENTHOSTNAME behavior, Terebithia Xymon 4.3.28-0.6.1.el5

Having an odd problem that I’m having trouble tracking down on an RHEL5.11 machine. The symptom is that the client shows with the real hostname, which is one I don’t want displaying on the Xymon website and, even though I’ve changed the name in the client, my one external script that uses $MACHINE/$MACHINEDOTS is sending as the actual server name. I define $CLIENTHOSTNAME in /etc/sysconfig/xymon-client, which is looped in by an include at the top of /etc/xymon/xymonclient.cfg. I see in /usr/libexec/xymon-client/xymonclient.sh that if $CLIENTHOSTNAME exists, $MACHINE/$MACHINEDOTS ought to make use of it. However, $MACHINE/$MACHINEDOTS are still my real hostname.

Any suggestions? I don’t really understand how this could be happening.

--
____
||_// the State  |         Ryan Novosielski - novosirj at rutgers.edu
|| \\ University | Sr. Technologist - 973/972.0922 (2x0922) ~*~ RBHS Campus
||  \\    of NJ  | Office of Advanced Research Computing - MSB C630, Newark
     `'