[Xymon] Strange MACHINE vs. CLIENTHOSTNAME behavior, Terebithia Xymon 4.3.28-0.6.1.el5

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at rutgers.edu
Tue Jan 10 01:39:06 CET 2017

Having an odd problem that I’m having trouble tracking down on an RHEL5.11 machine. The symptom is that the client shows with the real hostname, which is one I don’t want displaying on the Xymon website and, even though I’ve changed the name in the client, my one external script that uses $MACHINE/$MACHINEDOTS is sending as the actual server name. I define $CLIENTHOSTNAME in /etc/sysconfig/xymon-client, which is looped in by an include at the top of /etc/xymon/xymonclient.cfg. I see in /usr/libexec/xymon-client/xymonclient.sh that if $CLIENTHOSTNAME exists, $MACHINE/$MACHINEDOTS ought to make use of it. However, $MACHINE/$MACHINEDOTS are still my real hostname.

Any suggestions? I don’t really understand how this could be happening.

--
____
||_// the State	 |         Ryan Novosielski - novosirj at rutgers.edu
|| \\ University | Sr. Technologist - 973/972.0922 (2x0922) ~*~ RBHS Campus
||  \\    of NJ	 | Office of Advanced Research Computing - MSB C630, Newark
     `'