[Xymon] critical systems page-- a couple feature requests

Erik erik at schminke.us
Thu Feb 16 18:14:11 CET 2017

1) Would it be possible change the critical systems page to allow the
/colors displayed/ on the page to be more of a checkbox style selection?
 one with each color available to select?  i would really like to present
just red+purple on my critical systems page to my NOC operators.  i see
purple as being a greater severity than yellow, and (depending on) possibly
more severe than red.

Reason: I've seen a number of times in AIX, where an application has
managed to over consume system resources, so the OS kills off processes to
protect itself.  The xymon client often gets caught up in that and stops
reporting in.  Meanwhile, we're running without, e.g., the procs test to
determine whether our core processes are still running.  A purple alert on
that page would prompt them to call us, but if only red is displayed, the
test will probably remain silent and unnoticed.  We also don't want them
contacting us for yellow alerts, as those are not necessarily fatal to
business operations.

2) An increase in granularity would be helpful as well.  By that I mean,
allow xymon admins to add more than one config for a hostname.testname.  I
would find it useful to be able to configure for
hostname.testname.status.timespec.  Also, allow for multiple
configurations, each with their own priority, resolver group, and
instructions.

Reason: As an admin, I would want to monitor PRIO 1+2+3 and only have my
NOC monitor for PRIO 1 during the day.  But then at night, have them
monitor for PRIO 1+2+3 at night, but would also like change what a test's
priority becomes.  I might have them follow different instructions or
contact a different group based on time.

Thanks,

Erik