alerts config query

Ian Diddams didds3 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 21 11:48:14 CEST 2016

hobbit version 4.2.3
I have an alert
HOST=* TIME=w:0800:1830 COLOR=red,purple EXSERVICE=msgs,maint,sql_results,sql_results_1,sql_results_2,who,uptimeMAIL monitor at domain

Amongst other things coinfigured there is a "svcs" check we use for windows servers ie checking services that are running

This works great.  Except we have a service on a windows server  "SERVER_A"  that is deliberately shut down  for two hours every day and this of course sends alerts that are redundant/immaterial.

So to get arond this I then configured
HOST=* TIME=w:0800:1830 COLOR=red,purple EXSERVICE=msgs,maint,sql_results,sql_results_1,sql_results_2,who,uptime
EXSERVICE=svcs EXHOST=SERVER_A TIME=w:0700:0900MAIL monitor at domain
That is successful - i.e. the svcs email alert is not sent between 0700-0900.

However, a bizarre side effect of this is that now YELLOW alerts for "msgs" alerts are now sent between 0800 and 0900 !

I have removed the "EXSERVICE=svcs EXHOST=SERVER_A TIME=w:0700:0900" to test the outcome, and as expected the svcs emails return, and the msgs one stop, so it must be this alert config that is the issue here.
I'm at a bit of a loss here because

1) this msgs alert is actually yellow, which is not included in the first line anyway2) msgs are expressly excluded in the first line also.

So clearly this config is working as a sort of "first line unless the seocnd line exists".  ?

Has anyone any suggestions as to how to configure this correctly so that the svcs alerts are not acted upon between 0700-0900 [in fact I can of course just mnake this 0800-0900 as the rule only works after 0800 anyway etc ], but msgs are not suddenly alerted upon?
cheers
ian