[Xymon] how are hosts with 0.0.0.0 address looked up?

Richard Hamilton rlhamil2 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 22:43:58 CET 2016

I had hoped it used gethostbyname() or better getipnodebyname() or
getnameinfo(), which if the host's lookup mechanism were configured
appropriately, might use a variety of services (including multicast
DNS/Bonjour).  But I'm guessing it bypasses all that and uses the resolver
directly, because it's not working on an entry like

0.0.0.0    lapple.local

to pick up an mDNS resolution.  That would have taken care of me as I moved
around and connected remotely via a VPN, given that I set up a script to
register my transitory VPN address when I'm connected that way, and when
I'm at home, the automatic Bonjour registration with my (DHCP but actually
static) address would have happened instead.

Is there an option to tell xymonnet to use one of the above calls instead
of the resolver?