[Xymon] Can't match alerts.cfg rules

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Sun Nov 6 07:09:48 CET 2016

On Sat, November 5, 2016 1:14 pm, Jake wrote:

> I have 4.3.27-1.el7.terabithia running on Centos 7, and can't get any
> rules in alerts.cfg.to match and fire an alert.
>
> I have in hosts.cfg:
>
> 192.168.2.31 phone-sales # conn
>
> In alerts.cfg:
>
>  HOST=phone-sales COLOR=red
>  MAIL somebody at gmail.com
> ## Wildcard rule
>  HOST=%^.*$ COLOR=red
>  MAIL somebody at gmail.com
>
> Made the wildcard rule a regexp because "HOST=*" wasn't working, and
> added the host-specific rule because no wildcard was working. But if I
> trigger a red on host phone-sales, in alert.log I see:
>
> Checking criteria for host 'phone-sales', which is not yet defined; some
> alerts may not immediately fire
>
> What am I missing? I retired a year and a half ago, and have been out of
> practice, so feel free to start with "You dummy...."

Hi,

Can you show the output of xymoncmd xymond_alert --dump-config ? That
would help us see what xymond_alert itself is interpreting things as.

The "Checking criteria for host..." should only apply when xymond_alert
(via loadhosts) hasn't reloaded the hosts.cfg yet (in this instance). That
entry looks normal, though. Does the error get shown every time
xymond_alert starts up?

Regards,
-jc