[Xymon] Xymon client data forwarding to another Xymon server?

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Nov 4 21:30:30 CET 2016

Main

On Fri, 4 Nov 2016, 11:01 Maik Heinelt <maik at vegasystems.com> wrote:

> We have some clients behind a firewall what are sending their Xymon logs
> to a Xymon server at the same subnet. The Xymon server is the only one
> machine what is able to send the client data somewwere else, so we would
> like to get this server sending the local client data to another Xymon
> server, too.
>
> Not all client data should be send, we would like to be able (if
> possible) to select the clients being send to the other server.

This is the difficulty - being selective. Perhaps you could send all client
data but then just ignore the hosts you don't care about, or put them on a
page that nobody looks at.

I was reading about xymonproxy, but it sounds, it only can send all
> client data to another server?!

Correct.

I wonder of it's practical to script up a kind of proxy. You could use the
output of "$XYMON $XYMSRV xymondboard" to list all hosts that are tagged
the way you want to select then (eg tag them with a NET parameter) and also
list only those with client data.

Then with that list of hosts (or simply manage your own list in a text
file), you grab the current client data with "$XYMON $XYMSRV clientlog" and
send the output to "$XYMON $XYMSRV client" (with appropriate header).

Then sleep for 5 minutes and repeat.

Consideration should be given to detecting and suppressing stale client
messages. Also, this technique may not be particularly efficient, so care
should be taken if you have a lot of hosts to forward, and you may get
bursts of high load on your intermediate xymon server.  And there could be
up to 5 minutes delay, unless you poll more often and limit the client data
accordingly.

Also, there are almost no manuals or
> detailed information how to get xymonproxy setup.

Just the man page, but I think it's pretty good. Please ask any questions
not answered by the man page.

Also, in the past there have been some discussions on this list about
xymonproxy, so searching the archives might give done more hints.

It would be great to get some help to understand how to get it working.