[Xymon] disk graph page limits total file systems

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue May 24 05:32:35 CEST 2016

On Mon, May 23, 2016 12:46 pm, EDSchminke at Hormel.com wrote:

> Another update for this topic:
>
> I added 100 file systems to a couple systems to see what would happen with
> the graphs.  The target systems were different from the one that spawned
> this topic.
>
> When I added 100 file systems to a Linux (RHEL 6.6) system, all file
> systems were reported/graphed on the disk page.
> When I added 100 file systems to an AIX (v7.1) system, file systems were
> truncated; although at a different point.  120 of 132 file systems were
> represented..
>
> I don't understand why they're so different.  Comparing the df portions of
> the messages from each of the systems do not reveal any obvious
> differences.
>
> I'd really appreciate some suggestions for debugging.  What commands I can
> run manually that the disk page is running internally.  I've looked at the
> code, but haven't quite figured out what's going on in there; my C skills
> are rubbish.

Hi Erik,

This actually helps a great deal, as it implies there's a distinction in
parsing code ... and potentially not an issue on the display side at all
(which I've been pouring over with little success).

Can you confirm whether the RRD files themselves are being properly
updated for both the AIX and Linux systems? (It might help to disable
caching in xymond_rrd during this process, if your system has enough space
I/O capacity.) In theory all partitions that are coming in should have
their .rrd files updated continually, but if there's a parsing issue then
that might explain one aspect of the failure.

Alternatively, can you try adding and removing partition values in the
client report and see if going above and below the 85-parition value
reliably enables the 86th?

It might be helpful to manually edit the xymonclient-$OS.sh script to grep
out (or include additional) lines of the 'df' output.

Can you also confirm that the remainder of the client report
(CPU/memory/etc.) is being handled OK, even on the AIX system?

So far I've been unable to duplicate this, but I was primarily testing on
x86_64 Linux VMs.

Regards,
-jc