[Xymon] Method to report/list all configured clients and their info.

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Thu May 12 18:44:40 CEST 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 10:41 am, Mike Burger wrote:
> Good morning, all.
>
> I've got a request from my security and monitoring team for a way to
> export a list of all configured clients along with their IP addresses
> and either descriptions or page/subpage locations.
>
> Other than providing them with a copy of hosts.cfg on a regular basis,
> I've been unsuccessful in locating a way to do so (either in the
> documentation/man pages, mailing list archives or just good old Google).
>
> Is there a method to do so from the Xymon interface? Maybe a plugin that
> I'm not, yet, aware of?
>
> --
> Mike Burger
> http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Directly from the web interface, not especially (unless you've enabled
xymoncgimsg.cgi for HTTP transport of xymon messages), but it's fairly
easy from the command line:

xymoncmd xymon localhost "xymondboard test=info
fields=hostname,ip,XMH_ALLPAGEPATHS"

This will only return systems that have sent (or been reported by) at
least one xymon status message, but for most configurations that's fine.
There are different ways of collecting different types of auditable data
as well such as looking at clientlog reports and comparing [ifconfig]
output with whatever you might expect it to be. You can also compare
incoming 'cpu' report existence with presence in hosts.cfg to find systems
that haven't sent in a report at all and may not have been configured
correctly.

If you have plenty of spare RAM on your main monitor server, I've found
that saving client data via xymond_channel to tmpfs enables all sorts of
interesting possibilities for a security and/or audit team. greping
through the live state of your entire environment can be quite useful.

HTH,
-jc