[Xymon] Replacing the smtp test in protocols.cfg

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Mar 25 23:03:41 CET 2016

My memory is a bit hazy from back then, but there seemed to be cases where
mail servers would immediately respond with a 4xx or 5xx error state after
a MAIL from in certain cases, which would mean the service was down enough
that you'd want a banner check to note it.

That being said, it's been a while since the heyday of MTA craziness and
there are probably fewer of us running sendmail servers on single-core
Athlon's with sky-high load averages.

The MAIL command itself doesn't seem to cause errors to be logged on my
systems, but I know it has for others.

-jc