[Xymon] Replacing the smtp test in protocols.cfg

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Mar 25 00:39:03 CET 2016

On Thu, March 24, 2016 3:40 pm, Richard Hamilton wrote:
> Actually, it's probably not just the malformed MAIL command, but the lack
> of an EHLO or (for compatibility with older SMTP servers that are not
> ESMTP) HELO command, e.g. HELO myhostname
>
> Do send strings allow variables?  e.g. can one do
> send "HELO $MACHINEDOTS\r\nQUIT\r\n"
> and have it expanded properly?

It could unfortunately be either of those issues. So long as the xymonnet
tester is not performing real send/expect cycles but simply pre-loading
the buffer, there's always the chance of this type of message.

I don't believe the send string is parsed for variables, however you may
be able to get away with hard-coding the current server itself there.

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 6:25 PM, John Thurston <john.thurston at alaska.gov>
> wrote:
>
>> The default test in protocols.cfg  is
>>
>>> [smtp]
>>>    send "mail\r\nquit\r\n"
>>>    expect "220"
>>>    options banner
>>>    port 25
>>>

>> All of my smtp servers accept the connection, return the 220 response,
>> and
>> return a 50X response due to the mal-formed "mail" command. The test
>> result
>> in Xymon is green because of the 220 response, but my smtp logs an error
>> for each connection.
>>
>> I can replace the send-string with:
>>    send "quit\r\n"
>> and get better behavior, but I expect that I'll need to make this change
>> every time I update Xymon. It does not appear that re-defining the smtp
>> test in a later (included) .cfg file replaces the first definition.
>>
>> Two questions:
>> Is there anyone for whom this test is _not_ filling up the error log on
>> their smtp server?
>>
>> If I edit the native protocol.cfg, am I correct that I'll need to
>> replace
>> protocols.cfg with each code update?

One option here is to place your edits in a separate file included at the
top. But generally, yes. A later one will have no effect.

HTH,
-jc