[Xymon] Alert Thresholds Linux Client Side

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Thu Mar 3 21:49:04 CET 2016

On Wed, March 2, 2016 10:10 pm, John Tullis wrote:
> Sorry if this has been answered. Is there any way to control thresholds on
> the Xymon-Client Linux client side like I can control thresholds in the
> bbwingui.exe utility for Windows?
>
> I have a lot of different people that like to control what alerts they get
> but don't have access to modify files on the Xymon server and it would be
> nice if they could define those thresholds  on their own.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John Tullis

Hi John,

Yes, this is referred to as local or client config mode. Although there
isn't a GUI for it like in Windows, the concept is similar.

Depending on how your client is deployed onto your system, you might need
to recompile or generate a new tarball with, or install a new package. If
compiling from source, answer "client" to the first question from
`./configure --client`.

The end result will be a xymon client that has "--local" on the CMD line
inside clientlaunch.cfg, a new config file "localclient.cfg", and an extra
copy of xymond_client in the bin directory. localclient.cfg is the same
format as analysis.cfg, except you'll want to configure your settings
under the 'DEFAULT' host config name.

Essentially what happens at run time is that instead of the raw client
data being sent to the xymon server for analysis, the localclient.cfg file
is used to generate status pages locally, using whatever the local admin
has placed in there for thresholding, etc.

HTH,
-jc