[Xymon] Is SNMP a solution

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Thu Jun 16 03:37:48 CEST 2016

If i understand you correctly, there is no direct path between the sister server, on .51, and your monitor station.  That would seem, on the surface, to make use of SNMP and the
devmon add in for xymon very difficult.

The simplest solutions that occurs to me would be to do port forwarding via ssh client configuration and /etc/hosts name resolution to create an ssh tunnel to the sister server.
I'm assuming you ARE using the ssh method and have at lest part of the ssh client configuration done.

Because xymon-rclient would run as the xymon user the ssh configuration might look something like this:

~xymon/.ssh/config:

host 192.169.100.50
       user xymon
       IdentityFile ~xymon/.ssh/id_rsa_50

host 192.169.100.51
       user xymon2
       IdentityFile ~xymon/.ssh/id_rsa_51
       LocalForward 127.0.0.1:1985:192.169.100.51:1984

The above configuration MAY need (probably will) adjustment and experimentation to get xymon-rclient connecting to the sister server.