[Xymon] Multiple Host Instances

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Wed Jul 20 18:48:25 CEST 2016

On 7/20/2016 7:19 AM, Joshua Hunt wrote:
> This set up does run all my custom tests properly, however, each setup
> for "site.address.domain" runs /all three custom scripts, /(testing1
> testing 2 & testing3),

Are the scripts actually *running* three times?

I believe Xymon builds a list of hosts, and then builds a list of tests
for each host. It then performs the tests defined for each host. I'd
expect your configuration to run each test once for the host, display
all three columns/tests on each page, and show all three test results on
the host's "info" page.

If what you want is a single test to appear on each page, then I suggest
something like this in your hosts.cfg:

####################
page L1 TEST1
group-only testing1
10.0.0.1  site.address.domain # prefer noping testip testing1 \
           testing2 testing3

page L2 TEST2
group-only testing2
0.0.0.0 site.address.domain #

page L3 TEST3
group-only testing3
0.0.0.0 site.address.domain #
##########################

The first defines the host, its IP, and all of its network tests. The
slash on the end is to handle the short lines of my email client. It
signifies a continuation of the line onto the next. You could split the
line, or just make it very long.

The latter entries are there just for display purposes. The columns
"info" and "trends" are included by default. Those columns are specific
to the host and _not_ to the page. This means clicking on "info" on page
L1 is exactly the same as clicking on the link on page L2 or L3.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration