[Xymon] MAGMA XYMon Web GUI Admin Now Available!

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Wed Jan 6 00:45:25 CET 2016

On 1/5/2016 2:31 PM, Thomas Leavitt wrote:
> Are folks actively using MAGMA? I'm been casting around for a practical
> application to refresh my coding fu with, and since I love Xymon and use
> it every day, I thought it might be useful / fun to play around with
> enhancing the existing code (since it is GPL).

I looked at MAGMA and found it too heavy for my needs. I don't want to
run an *AMP server just to manage my Xymon instance. The only thing it
was going to make easier was editing alerts.cfg, and even that seemed
marginally useful to me.

> I'm also thinking about hacking out some kind of tool that will take a
> CSV formatted input file, and use it to generate a hosts.cfg . . .

We have an instance of Big Brother (I haven't seen the need to change it
to Xymon as it currently meets the business need) which receives no
interactive edits. The hosts.cfg is re-created by a script any time a
change is made in our DNS zone file. It has run hands-off for years. So
many years, in fact, that I kind of forget how it's doing it :)

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration