relocatable RPM or installing from source?

Jason Brockdorf apocalysque at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 25 21:53:44 CET 2016

Hello Xymon folks,

I've been racking my brain about this lately and I don't see an easy way.
I'd like to install the xymon client to /opt (or even the xymon server, but
that's another problem) and I'm using the Terabithia RPMS.  I do have the
option to install them in the regular FHS but then I have to depend our DCS
vendor for any operations regarding the software, and with their track
record, I'd rather not.  Additionally our current environment has the client
installed in /opt in all of the existing servers (older client which will
need to be upgraded as part of this project) and I'd like to stick with that
convention, which was advised by my sysadmin, manager, and a colleague.  It
makes administration easier on us to stick with this convention.

When I try to install them to a different root using YUM, it tries to
install all of the dependencies as well.  Apparently there's no way to get
YUM to ignore dependencies and if I try to install the RPM by relocating, I
get a message that the RPM is not relocatable.  So, I'm guessing I need to
install from source or build my own package (yuck).

So, I've installed from source on a test system, but then there's no scripts
to create user accounts or add service definitions for starting/stopping the
service.  I've found the runclient.sh script but I don't know how to adapt
that to systemd on centos 7.

Can the Terabithia RPMs be made relocatable or does anyone advice on how to
proceed?

Thanks in advance,

-Jason