[Xymon] Patch: AIX memory actual

Stef Coene stef.coene at docum.org
Thu Feb 11 11:23:42 CET 2016

On Thursday 11 February 2016 09:57:06 you wrote:
> Stef, is there a way to adjust the memory so it can't exceed 100%?  Does it
> make sense for actual memory usage to be more than 100%?  The graph.cfg
> definition for [mem], [memory] and [ram] have "-u100" defined, which means
> xymon will likely not graph data points greater than 100.  Also, I suspect
> the code that creates the RRD file will have set the upper value to 100,
> and will cause xymon to drop data points greater than 100.
No, Actual memory on AIX is the amount of memory in use. And this can be more
then 100% of the physical memory. If it does, swap will be used as memory.
This is of course if you use the physical memory as the max for actual memory.
If you take swap + physical as the max for actual, It can never exceed 100%.
But that's normally not done. You want to know if the memory that's needed can
fit in the physical memory.

For linux, bbwin, freebsd and irix the actual memory is processed. And I don't
see why this can't exceed 100% on theses OS'es if you allocate too much
memory. But I never had a case, except for AIX.

And for the code that generated the rrd, that's also changed in my patch.

And for the graph, indeed, that definition also needs to be updated.

PS: I CC'ed the mailing list.

Stef