[Xymon] selinux messages during package update

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Feb 10 03:41:30 CET 2016

Hi

I have a couple of Xymon servers running RHELv6.7.  I use the terabithia.org
repo for the Xymon package, and it's been working just fine.

However, recently I did a "yum update" and saw a message that was of
concern to me.  There were quite a few packages to update because it had
been a while since I applied the last round of updates.  Amidst the stream
of updates was a bunch of errors related to xymon and selinux:

  Updating   : xymon-4.3.24-3.el6.x86_64
                                             178/481
SELinux:  Could not downgrade policy file
/etc/selinux/targeted/policy/policy.24, searching for an older version.
SELinux:  Could not open policy file <=
/etc/selinux/targeted/policy/policy.24:  No such file or directory
libsemanage.semanage_reload_policy: load_policy returned error code 2.
SELinux:  Could not downgrade policy file
/etc/selinux/targeted/policy/policy.24, searching for an older version.
SELinux:  Could not open policy file <=
/etc/selinux/targeted/policy/policy.24:  No such file or directory
(repeated about 20 times)

I'm inexperienced with selinux troubleshooting, and apart from knowing the
concepts behind how it all works, I'm really in the dark about what goes on
behind the scenes.

Are these messages cause for concern?  Is there something I need to do in
order to complete the selinux policy update?  Or something I can do next
time to avoid the error messages?

Cheers
Jeremy