[Xymon] hostname retrieval is broken after adding a host

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Mon Feb 1 20:10:58 CET 2016

This defect is getting to be a serious problem in my production Xymon.

For specifics, see my notes of 20151201 and 20151214 :
http://lists.xymon.com/pipermail/xymon/2015-December/042712.html
http://lists.xymon.com/pipermail/xymon/2015-December/042787.html

In general, adding a host to hosts.cfg corrupts the in-memory list of
valid hosts. This causes other worker processes (specifically "alert")
to fail. It doesn't fail _completely_. Some alerts continue to be sent,
but there are footprints in the logs. I have a script watching for these
footprints. When seen, I kill the "xymond_channel --channel=page"
process, a new one is started, and business continues.

I need to squash this bug.

Is there a way to interactively run a worker process and have it hit the
in-memory table of hostnames?

If not, is there a way to spill the in-memory table of hostnames without
using a debugger?

Can anyone tell me which worker processes us the in-memory host list?

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration