[Xymon] xymonnet TCPtest error 4

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu Aug 11 05:29:11 CEST 2016

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 2:00 AM Kirk MacDonald <
Kirk.MacDonald at corp.eastlink.ca> wrote:

> The errors are as follows:
>

> TCPtest error 4 seen on open connection for $x.imaps
>
> TCPtest error 4 seen on open connection for $x.pop3s
>

> .. where $x is a few random extended ASCII characters

If I'm not mistaken, the error codes are defined in contest.h.  Error 4 is:

#define CONTEST_EIO        4

This means "I/O error".  When trying to write to an apparently open socket,
the number of bytes written was zero.  It might indicate that the remote
end closed the socket, and it's not until the write took place that the
local socket layer saw the closure.  If you run xymonnet with "--debug"
enabled, you might see "write failed" in the log.

To confirm, perhaps do a packet trace on the communication.  And/or look at
the logs on the device being probed, to see if it's aborting the connection
for policy reasons.

The weird $x values seem to be a bug in xymonnet.c, where the code treats
"test->host" as the hostname, whereas it's actually a structure with lots
of host details.  This should be "test->host->ip".  But it won't cause your
"error 4" problem.