[Xymon] not getting alerts on url checking.

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu Aug 11 04:07:05 CEST 2016

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 6:38 AM usa ims via Xymon <xymon at xymon.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have these two tests  in my hosts.cfg
>
> page development development
> xx.202.xxx.xxx   JIRA  #https://xx.202.xxx.xxx:8443/login.jsp
> NOCOLUMNS:info,trends,conn
> xx.202.xxx.xxx   Stash #https://xx.202.xxx.xxx:8444
> NOCOLUMNS:info,trends,conn
>
> So, for grins, I wanted to make sure I'll get alerted so I changed the
> port to some port not being used, like below:
>
> xx.202.xxx.xxx   JIRA  #https://xx.202.xxx.xxx:4443/login.jsp
> NOCOLUMNS:info,trends,conn
> xx.202.xxx.xxx   Stash #https://xx.202.xxx.xxx:4444
> NOCOLUMNS:info,trends,conn
>
> What is happening is that in the nongreen.html status window, the side bar
> is not turning red but staying green but the little tiny faces went from
> green to white and I did not get alerted.

It's as if you have "--ignorecolumns=http" or "--nopropred=http" for the
xymongen command, or something like that.

> Below is what is in my alerts.cfg

alerts.cfg is only used when generating emails.  It doesn't affect the
display.  If you don't get a red/yellow then you won't get an alert.
Nothing you can put into or take out of alers.cfg will affect the display.

You could try running xymonnet manually with "--debug" and/or "--dump"
arguments.  I would extract one host for testing, put it into a different
hosts.cfg file, and then point xymonnet to that file by setting
HOSTSCFG=/tmp/hosts.cfg or simlar.

Hmm.  I notice you've suppressed conn messages from displaying (with
NOCOLUMNS) but you haven't included "noconn" to stop the conn tests from
taking place.  I wonder if you removed "conn" from NOCOLUMNS, you might see
it going red.  When a ping (conn) test goes red, other network tests go
clear.  If this is the case, simply add "noconn" wherever you have
NOCOLUMNS:conn.

Cheers
Jeremy