patching & bulding xymon

Jason Brockdorf apocalysque at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 27 18:17:17 CEST 2016

I know this isn't strictly related to xymon, but I'm trying to patch xymon
and recompile so I can test the patch but I can't seem to get it to work.
Does anyone here have any good recommendations on where I can read up on
patching and compiling or building and testing?

I'm really only a novice in programming, but I think know enough to be able
to contribute.  I've created a patch for csvreport.c which I believe should
cause the availability report to output times in a human readable format
instead of unix epoch time.  When I tried following instructions from some
random websites I found on working with SRPMS, I added the patch into the
spec file in 2 spots but when I tried to rebuild the binary RPM, it asks me
which file I want to patch.  I put my patch file in the sources directory
where the rest of the patches seemed to be and added this to the spec file:

%patch1000 -p0

and.

Patch1000: xymon.xymongen_csvreport.patch

So I decided it might be easier to try editing the file found in my
/home/rpmbuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/xymon-4.3.27/xymongen directory and just
rebuild from that but when I rebuilt it, I get the same unix epoch time on
the generated CSV report.  I would assume that at the very least I would get
some sort of error message on my first try.

TIA

-Jason