[Xymon] Changing interval of tests

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Mon Apr 11 18:20:59 CEST 2016

On 4/11/2016 4:18 AM, john boris wrote:
> J.C.
>
> I looked at tasks.cfg and see the interval for xymonnet. That is 5
> minutes. But right below that setting there is one for xymonentagain.
> This is set to 1 minute for failed  systems.
>
> We are trying to test if we can connect to the router so if the ping
> fails I can only assume that xymon will run the ping test a second time
> one minute later and then every minute until the unit recovers.

Close, but not quite right. From the man page for xymonnet-again

> Only tests whose first failure occurred within 30 minutes are included in the tests that are run by xymonnet-again.sh. The 30 minute limit is there to avoid hosts that are down for longer periods of time to bog down xymonnet-again.sh. You can change this limit with the "--frequenttestlimit=SECONDS" when you run xyxmonnet.

So, by default, the more frequent test will occur for 30 minutes. They
will then revert to the normal rate of xymonnet.

> If that
> is correct than it is fine. I did not see if I could only set the ping
> test to run every minute just for that one unit.

I don't see any reason you can't add an explicit entry to tasks.cfg
running xymonnet with one specific host name. From the man page of
xymonnet (and from experience) it accepts one or more host names as
arguments and acts only for those:

> xymonnet [--ping|--noping] [--timeout=N] [options] [hostname] [hostname]

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration