[Xymon] DATA messages

Boldt, David dboldt at usgs.gov
Mon Sep 28 23:04:36 CEST 2015

Hello,

Pardon the newbie questions.

I can't seem to find any references on the format for "data messages".
Have tried sending the following, and no rrd file appears on the server:

data igskahcmasmx01,cr,usgs,gov.msgRate
messageRate:  1.3980

A second question is on best practices; How should one launch the data
collecting program, with respect to the definition of the associated test?
Below are the current pair of definitions I am using in clientlaunch.cfg:

[msgRate]
        ENVFILE $XYMONCLIENTHOME/etc/xymonclient.cfg
        CMD $XYMONCLIENTHOME/ext/msgRate
        LOGFILE $XYMONCLIENTLOGS/msgRate.log
        INTERVAL 5m

[msgRate.data]
        ENVFILE $XYMONCLIENTHOME/etc/xymonclient.cfg
        CMD $XYMONCLIENTHOME/ext/data/msgRate
        LOGFILE $XYMONCLIENTLOGS/msgRate-data.log
        INTERVAL 5m

I'm assuming that I can't run multiple "CMD"s in a single task definition.
Similarly I'm assuming that I can't reuse the same task identifier.

--
                                         -- David Boldt
                                            <dboldt at usgs.gov>

   "I stopped believing in Santa Claus when my mother took me to see him in
a department store, and he asked for my autograph."
    --Shirley Temple (1928 - )