[Xymon] Oracle monitoring with dbcheck fails

Root, Paul T Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Wed Sep 16 16:12:04 CEST 2015

I took your script and ran it on my network. Obviously changing the host, SID, etc. Tcpdump confirmed that it connected to my oracle server.

From: Xymon [mailto:xymon-bounces at xymon.com] On Behalf Of Jeremy Laidman
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 2:38 AM
To: Johan.Grotherus at vattenfall.com
Cc: xymon at xymon.com
Subject: Re: [Xymon] Oracle monitoring with dbcheck fails

On 15 September 2015 at 16:59, <Johan.Grotherus at vattenfall.com<mailto:Johan.Grotherus at vattenfall.com>> wrote:
This is weird, and it got even more weird when I realized that dbcheck does not even try to communicate with the Oracle instances, it simply logs the error message and exits. I ran tcpdump to verify this and there is no connection attempt being made by dbcheck.

Try running the script through strace.

This communication is the property of CenturyLink and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the communication and any attachments.