[Xymon] HOWTO: Upgrading MAGServer Xymon installation

Rob Steuer steuer at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 30 22:19:22 CET 2015

Hi All -

I wanted to offer my upgrade notes on how to upgrade the Xymon installation
contained within the MAGServer from Squidworks
(http://www.squidworks.net/software-projects/mag/)

I couldn't find documentation anywhere on how to go about this, so if others
are wondering how to upgrade from the 4.3.4 install of Xymon to the latest
(4.3.21 as of this email) these are the steps I used:

1.       Good idea to backup the VM in case anything goes wrong

2.       Download Xymon package from SourceForge and use tar to extract the
files

3.       Review the Makefile for the 4.3.4 install that came with MAGServer.
The original install of xymon version 4.3.4 files can be located at
/root/xymon

4.       Run the "./configure" but don't run make yet.  The MAGServer
package does not use many of the defaults.  Make sure to use the same
variables where appropriate from the old Makefile, example: XYMONTOPDIR,
SECURECGIDIR, XYMONHOSTURL, etc.

5.       Compare again the new Makefile to the old Makefile, making sure
that variables for location paths, etc. match so that the new install will
place files in the correct place.

6.       Run "make" but don't run "make install" yet.

7.       At this point check the directory /var/www/xymon/server.  In my
install there was a broken symbolic link here named "xymon" (the file had
red reverse background).  If it's there, remove it because it prevents the
make install from working, it complains about the directory path being too
deep.

8.       Run make install.

9.       Upgrade is complete and should be OK now.  Maybe for good measure
restart xymon to make sure all comes up OK after a restart.

These steps worked for me, hopefully it works for others who use the
MAGServer VM appliance.

Rob