[Xymon] rrdtool binaries/libraries used by Xymon?

Matt Vander Werf mvanderw at nd.edu
Fri Oct 2 14:23:45 CEST 2015

Hello,

How does Xymon determine what rrdtool (set of) binaries/libraries to use
for graphing? Does it just use the PATH variable set in
/etc/xymon/xymonserver.cfg (generally speaking,
$XYMONHOME/etc/xymonserver.cfg)? (i.e. it finds the rrdtool binaries to use
based on the precedence given in the PATH variable.)

I ask because I am looking at using a newer version of rrdtool (then the
rrdtool RPM in the regular RHEL repositories) that I built from source in
an alternate location (/opt) and want to tell Xymon to use these new
rrdtool binaries/libraries for it's graphing (mostly to see if it works and
see what changes). I'm trying to use the latest stable release version
1.5.4, whereas I have been using version 1.4.8.

Or do I have a complete misunderstanding of how Xymon utilizes rrdtool? I
assumed that it uses the external rrdtool binaries/libraries (as the
rrdtool package was a dependency when I installed the xymon server RPM),
but maybe it gets built in somehow?

FYI, I'm using 4.3.21-4.el7.terabithia RPMs on RHEL 7.

Thanks!

--
Matt Vander Werf
HPC System Administrator