[Xymon] [Possible Spam] 4.3.21 AIX client -> 4.3.10 Linux server ?

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Nov 27 21:26:35 CET 2015

On 11/27/2015 11:51 AM, Andy Smith wrote:
> Andy Smith wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have built a new(ish) xymon package for AIX 7.1 and the client
>> works fine sending updates via xymonclient-aix.sh. However, using
>> xymonnet we see no results for network tests. The xymonnet binary
>> works without error and --debug shows it sending the expected
>> results.  Wireshark confirms this is received on the server but as a
>> type 'extcombo'.  This is a long shot :-
>>
>> Changes from 4.3.12 -> 4.3.13 (08 Jan 2014)
>> * rev 7339
>> * New "extcombo" message type allows for combo messages of all types
>> (usually "status" and "data").
>>
>> So, being lazy rather than looking through the code at this time, can
>> anyone confirm if the client should be reverting to combo when the
>> server cannot accept extcombo and is there any way to prevent the
>> client from using extcombo untill we can get the server upgraded?
>>
>> Will peruse the code this weekend if I get chance, just hoping
>> someone can shortcut the investigation for me ...
>> Thanks
>> --
>> Andy
>
> OK, found it in lib/sendmsg.c, looks like its hardcoded.  Building
> 4.3.12 for AIX solved the problem for the moment.  Need to get that
> Xymon server upgraded as the next step.  Sorry to have cluttered your
> mailboxes.

No problem.

Yes, this is correct. Xymon is using the BB protocol; there's no two-way
discussion which would allow for a graceful fallback like this. Although
old-style "combo"s are still parsed and processed, anything that's
*sending* combos needs to be sending to an upgraded host. This goes for
regular clients that are compiled/configured using --local config mode
too, since the local copy of xymond_client will be generating extcombo's
also.

-jc