[Xymon] upgrade from src to Xymon 4.3.23 ?

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Nov 13 19:44:44 CET 2015

On Fri, November 13, 2015 6:54 am, Bakkies Gatvol wrote:

> I am running xymon compiled from source.  I don't have a clear path for
> upgrading. I have muddled through before, but are there steps documented
> somewhere for UPGRADE that I am just unaware of?
>
> May be lack of coffee, but I don't even understand the questions configure
> is asking today. So
>  I have skipped running the configure and am trying to just use the
> previous makefile.  Some note I made, makes me think I did it like that
> last time.
>
> Somebody rescue me please.
>
> Bakgat

Hi Bakgat,

It depends first and foremost on what version you're running now. Most
recent versions should be something of a drop-in replacement and there are
only a few things I can think of that have caused upgrade issues:

- apache config snippets (if you're running around 4.3.18 when the way
CGI's were run changed)
- extcombo generation if you have separate xymonnet pollers running xymon
>4.3.13 but an older central xymond server
- recent changes to default thresholds/logic for some tests (eg, HTTP 403
is now a 'red' by default)

If you're running an older release, or from the hobbit era, the
compatibility layer is still there so your scripts should basically Just
Work, but I'd probably advise going through the xymonserver.cfg (nee
hobbitserver.cfg) lines with a diff and carrying over your changes by
hand.

For future use, I've found the 'directory' line to be a great help for
dealing with defaults. I try to leave the original analysis.cfg (etc)
files unchanged and put all my tweaks into an ~/etc/analysis.d/ directory,
which certainly helps clarify stuff like this.

Source upgrades should _basically_ work, and I know a lot of users do them
on various OS's.

If you're running a Debian Linux derivative, there's a packagized .deb
version in the distro which might make things easier; if you're running a
RedHat derivative, there are RPMs at http://terabithia.org/rpms/xymon/
also.

HTH,
-jc