[Xymon] Two procs/processes graph issues after server upgrade from 4.3.21 to 4.3.22-rc2

Axel Beckert beckert at phys.ethz.ch
Thu Nov 12 11:09:17 CET 2015

Hi,

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 12:20:37PM -0800, Japheth Cleaver wrote:
> Thanks, I believe this is the same issue that Steven was facing.

Yeah, saw it just after I've sent my mail.

> I'm looking into it now. It's definitely not present in 4.3.21.

Sorry for not reporting it earlier (i.e. before the 4.3.22 final
release). A coworker made me aware of it on Thursday last week, but I
didn't come that far with examining the issue on that day -- and I was
not in the office on Friday. I also first expected a configuration
issues caused by merging our config with the changed 4.3.22 config
(changes around GRAPHS_*, etc.)...

On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 03:53:48PM -0800, Japheth Cleaver wrote:
> The chief problem was that TRACK and OPTIONAL seemed to not be tracked as
> options to a test as a result of r7683 and r7686 (on some platforms).

Our servers are both x86_64 (called amd64 in Debian) btw.

> Secondarily, 'nostale' is the default on svcstatus.sh pages, wherein it will
> eventually not display an old RRD page on the status -- in this case,
> because it hadn't been updated recently.

Ah! So that's a followup issue. Didn't think of that although it seems
obvious now due to the name "no stale".

> I'm not sure how I feel about the latter issue, but it's been that
> way for a while.

Well, the main issue is that there was no graph data displayed. If
fixing the RRD update also brings the graphs back, that's fine.

Nevertheless, I'd definitely prefer an empty graph in such a case than
an 1x1-pixel/invisible/no graph.

If there's suddenly no graph anymore, I'd generally expect a bug in
the software. (Yes, I said the opposite above, but that's basically
because there was a lot of configuration to merge -- which tends to be
error-prone. But then again, I that general feeling was right in this
case. :-)

If there's an empty graph, I'd expected issues with reporting in
general and would consider it a local issue which my monitoring
reported properly.

> I believe the included patch fixes the main issue; I'm testing now (as
> 4.3.22-5 in http://terabithia.org/rpms/xymon/testing/el6/x86_64/).
>
> This is enough to warrant a 4.3.23 release shortly, upon confirmation.

Will apply that patch to the 4.3.22 Debian packages, and roll them out
locally. Will report back as soon as I can confirm or deny that the
fix helps.

		Kind regards, Axel Beckert
--
Axel Beckert <beckert at phys.ethz.ch>       support: +41 44 633 26 68
IT Services Group, HPT H 6                  voice: +41 44 633 41 89