[Xymon] Data flooding?

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Nov 6 17:43:56 CET 2015

On Fri, November 6, 2015 8:20 am, Galen Johnson wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I've never seen this message before:
>
> Data flooding from 10.12.9.59 - 1st line client wdev5.linux linux?
>
> What does that even mean?  I'm using xymonfetch but it typically truncates
> the file.  This time it's causing tests to go purple.

While the various MAXMSG_* buffer sizes (like MAXMSG_STATUS) refer to a
specific type of message and can be used to adjust memory usage, however
there's also a compiled-in buffer limit for xymond, intended mainly to
catch "runaway" connections while we're still receiving data.

By default (in the tarball), #define MAX_XYMON_INBUFSZ is set to 10MB in
xymond.c. It can be increased, but you'll need to recompile for it to take
effect.

As far as I know, exceeding that limit is the only thing that will
generate a "Data flood" message.

HTH,
-jc