[Xymon] server-side message pre-processor?

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Nov 3 01:59:43 CET 2015

Is there a mechanism through which I can dump certain host+test
combinations to /dev/null ?

By way of example, let's hypothetically say I had a set of hosts whose
owner steadfastly refused to clean up their data streams. They might be
sending thousands of garbage test results to my server. The xymon server
might be defined to not propagate the test results to the non-green
screen, and there may be no alerts defined for the host+test
combinations. But the xymon server is still passing thousands of garbage
messages through its parsing, evaluating, graphing, and alerting
handlers. Xymongen is still including these ignored messages in the list
of "events received" at the bottom of the non-green page.

It would be cool if there were a way to create a flush-list for which:
    This host+test message combination will always be flushed.
    It will never get past the parsing handler.
    It won't be recorded.
    It wont be reported.
    It will not pass "go".
    It will not collect $200.
    It will just disappear.

Alternatively, the ability to prevent a host+test combination appearing
on the "events received int the past x minutes" portion of the non-green
page would be a big help. In the hypothetical situation outlined above,
the thousands of messages from those hosts would push every other
meaningful message off the bottom of that list of events.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services
Department of Administration