[Xymon] Xymon version 5

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Sun Nov 1 20:15:47 CET 2015

Hi,

J.C. Cleaver:
> Xymon 5 is the trunk update Henrik has been working on for a while now.
> The biggest core features are compression, sqlite as a data store, IPv6
> and direct SSL communication support throughout, a new poller (xymonnet2)
> and page generator, and more streamlined client->RRD processing.
> Development on it's been somewhat stalled with Henrik being busy at his
> new position, but it's still definitely "on the roadmap". For a more
> specific ETA on it, I'd have to defer to him.
First, I must say that I am pretty impressed (and happy) with the way JC
has managed the v4 codebase. I think I made the right choice when I
handed it over to him.

Re. version 5 ... well, most of the code is there. One of the last
releases I did was an alfa/beta/preview/whatever with the new networking
code. But it does need some cleanup, and re-adapting into the current v4
code - it was originally branched off 4.3.7 I think, and since JC took
over I haven't fitted any of his fixes and enhancements into v5-code.

And unfortunately I don't have the time to do any serious work on it.
Version 5 just turned out to include too many changes and enhancements,
it should never have gone for so long without a release.

I think the best way forward is to slice the version-5 code into smaller
pieces, and then gently slip them into the current v4 code. There are
some generic changes that could easily move back into v4, and then some
more serious changes for the new networking code. But even that could (I
think) me nudged into the v4 code, and live alongside the current
net-tool. That would probably be a slightly less intimidating set of
changes.