[Xymon] Need help with upgrade from 4.3.17 to 4.3.20

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Thu May 21 04:36:12 CEST 2015

On Wed, May 20, 2015 8:10 am, Asif Iqbal wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 6:39 PM, J.C. Cleaver <cleaver at terabithia.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, May 19, 2015 12:04 pm, Asif Iqbal wrote:

>> > I am using the config, as is, that came as xymon-apache.conf with the
>> > source 4.3.20

>> directory
>> >>

>> > xymon and xymon-client debian version 4.3.17 has been removed, so no
>> > more xymon in /usr/lib/xymon

>> server

>> Can you send a copy of the previous and current xymon.conf configs?
>>

> Here is the current config
>
>  /etc/apache2/sites-enabled$ egrep -v "^$|^#" xymon-apache.conf
>
> Alias /xymon/  "/var/lib/xymon/server/www/"
> <Directory "/var/lib/xymon/server/www">
>     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes MultiViews
>     <IfModule mod_authz_core.c>
>         # Apache 2.4+
>         Require all granted
>     </IfModule>
>     <IfModule !mod_authz_core.c>
>         Order deny,allow
>         Allow from all
>     </IfModule>
> </Directory>
> ScriptAlias /xymon-cgi/ "/var/lib/xymon/cgi-bin/"
> <Directory "/var/lib/xymon/cgi-bin">
>     AllowOverride None
>     Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks Includes
>     <IfModule mod_authz_core.c>
>         # Apache 2.4+
>         Require all granted
>     </IfModule>
>     <IfModule !mod_authz_core.c>
>         Order deny,allow
>         Allow from all
>     </IfModule>
> </Directory>
> ScriptAlias /xymon-seccgi/ "/var/lib/xymon/cgi-secure/"
> <Directory "/var/lib/xymon/cgi-secure">
>     AllowOverride None
>     Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks Includes
>     <IfModule mod_authz_core.c>
>         # Apache 2.4+
>         Require all granted
>     </IfModule>
>     <IfModule !mod_authz_core.c>
>         Order deny,allow
>         Allow from all
>     </IfModule>
>     # Password file where users with access to these scripts are kept.
>     # Create it with "htpasswd -c /var/lib/xymon/server/etc/xymonpasswd
> USERNAME"
>     # Add more users / change passwords with "htpasswd
> /var/lib/xymon/server/etc/xymonpasswd USERNAME"
>     #
>     # You can also use a group file to restrict admin access to members of
>     # group, instead of anyone who is logged in. In that case you must
> setup
>     # the "xymongroups" file, and change the "Require" settings to require
>     # a specific group membership. See the Apache docs for more details.
>     AuthUserFile /var/lib/xymon/server/etc/xymonpasswd
>     AuthGroupFile /var/lib/xymon/server/etc/xymongroups
>     AuthType Basic
>     AuthName "Xymon Administration"
>     # "valid-user" restricts access to anyone who is logged in.
>     Require valid-user
> [...]

I'm really not sure what to make of this. Everything in the apache config
looks to be correct; I can't see at all why apache would fail to execute
the CGI vs simply sending you the file.

Can you try two experiments?

First, replace one of the .sh files with a symlink (instead of a hard
link) to the cgiwrap binary. I'd like to see if we can rule out the
hardlink itself being the problem.

Second, can you compare to the xymon-apache.conf with the
xymon-apache-secure.conf.DIST file in the build directory to see if there
were any unexpected changes?

Are there any other files in apache's /conf.d/ directory that might be
taking precedence here?

-jc