[Xymon] vagrant example of xymon-4.3.19 server (rhel6) + 3 clients (rhel6, rhel7, ubuntu14)

Marcin Dulak marcin.dulak at gmail.com
Fri May 8 00:08:14 CEST 2015

Hi,

On 05/07/2015 09:40 AM, J.C. Cleaver wrote:

> On Sun, May 3, 2015 4:38 pm, Marcin Dulak wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> the example is available at
>> https://github.com/marcindulak/vagrant-xymon-tutorial
>> I hope Xymon's beginners will find it useful.
> Hi Marcin,
>
> Thanks for your report! Definitely the more documentation the better :)
>
>> In the process of creating it I noticed some problems with the
>> documentation
>> https://www.xymon.com/help/install.html:
>> 1. RHEL6/7 documentation is missing dependencies: yp-tools c-ares-devel
>> 2. Debian documentation is missing dependencies: libc-ares-dev dpkg-dev
> For c-ares-devel, the default tarball includes a bundled copy of c-ares,
> however since it's generally preferable to use shared libraries when
> possible I agree it should be called out for package installation. It's
> unfortunate that RH placed it into the 'optional' channel, as that makes
> it a bit more difficult to add into a managed environment for building.
i'm actually using CentOS not RHEL. Renamed the docs.
I've added also a Windows client.

> I'm curious where the dependency for yp-tools came in, however. On EL6 and
> EL7, that should not be a req.
I guess it would be a requirement if you try to configure the client
manually:
grep ypmatch -r xymon-4.3.19
xymon-4.3.19/configure.client:        USERDATA=`getent passwd $XYMONUSER
2>/dev/null || ypmatch "${XYMONUSER}" passwd || grep "^${XYMONUSER}:"
/etc/passwd`

Best regards,

Marcin