[Xymon] Email alerting for content check

Mike Burger mburger at bubbanfriends.org
Thu May 7 22:58:20 CEST 2015

Good afternoon, all.

I'm running Xymon 4.3.19 and I've implemented content checking for
specific URLs in my setup, but the actual process to alert, on screen,
when the content does not match does work.

The issue that I'm having is that Xymon isn't sending out the email
alerts for that content check.

So, my hosts file entry looks like this:

page dorado Dorado
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx   hostname.company.com # NAME:"Dorado Price Engine 1"
NOCOLUMNS:conn,disk,files,cpu,memory,msgs,ports,procs,inode
cont=content;https://some.url.to.check/subdir;"Sorry,[[:space:]]I[[:space:]]don't[[:space:]]speak[[:space:]]via[[:space:]]HTTP[[:space:]]GET"
yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy    hostname2.company.com # NAME:"Dorado Price Engine 2"
NOCOLUMNS:conn,disk,files,cpu,memory,msgs,ports,procs,inode
cont=content;https://another.url.to.check/subdir;"Sorry,[[:space:]]I[[:space:]]don't[[:space:]]speak[[:space:]]via[[:space:]]HTTP[[:space:]]GET"

This works...I get column "content" and it goes red if the site does not
return the text "Sorry, I don't speak via HTTP GET".

My alerts.cfg looks like this:

PAGE=%(dorado)
    MAIL list,of,recipients REPEAT=3 SERVICE=http,cont,content RECOVERED

The xymonnet section of my tasks.cfg looks like this:

[xymonnet]
         ENVFILE /apps/xymon/server/etc/xymonserver.cfg
         NEEDS xymond
         CMD xymonnet --report --ping --checkresponse
--content=content,ptcls1,ptcls2,ptcls3,ptcls4
         LOGFILE $XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymonnet.log
         INTERVAL 1m

I've also tried this in my tasks.cfg:

[xymonnet]
         ENVFILE /apps/xymon/server/etc/xymonserver.cfg
         NEEDS xymond
         CMD xymonnet --report --ping --checkresponse --content=content
--content=ptcls1 --content=ptcls2 --content=ptcls3 --content=ptcls4
         LOGFILE $XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymonnet.log
         INTERVAL 1m

I'm at a loss...how do I make Xymon send out alerts on the actual
content checks...what the heck am I doing wrong?

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

"It's always suicide-mission this, save-the-planet that. No one ever
just stops by to say 'hi' anymore." --Colonel Jack O'Neill, SG1